PayGo Solar Home Systems

PROJECT LOCATION:

Northern Nigeria


 

PROJECT OVERVIEW/SUMMARY:

The Nigerian Government’s ambitious Renewable Energy Policy aims to increase energy production of renewable energy sources from 13% of total electricity generation in 2015, to 23% in 2025 and 36% in 2030. This includes the goal to increase the percentage contribution of solar energy in the total energy mix. Solar Home Systems offers an affordable and environmentally friendly solution.

Azuri PayGo Solar Systems have the capacity to power 4 LED bulbs for up to 8 hours, have a radio and a USB port with charging cables for mobile phones.

Customers will pay a monthly top-up rate via mobile money for 36 months after which the customer then was the unit.

Small businesses will be able to stay open for longer hours; Students can study in the evenings and off grid families will be able to charge their phones and listen to the radio in their homes.


 

PROJECT DELIVERABLES:

  • Deployment of 20,000 Azuri Solar Home Systems.
  • Provision of 500 jobs (for a minimum of 24 months).
  • Provision of 5,000 indirect jobs.

 

PROJECT PARTNERS:

  • Azuri
  • Niger Delta Power Holding Company (NDPHC)

     

Azuri’s partnership with NDPHC highlights the government’s efforts to support roll-out of off grid solar systems and its commitment to renewable technologies as a sustainable way to generate electricity for Rural communities.

Subscribe to our newsletter